Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"In the News" - Wed., January 7th:



Okay, Friends, let's talk about the scanner for a minute. I was given one a couple of weeks ago by my mother-in-law.  It hasn't been used much over the past 7 years, and is programmed to about 10 different stations. She told me that I can add more, but I haven't yet. I am learning a lot, but I am far from being a scanner queen.

I spent the first week listening as much as I could and trying to figure things out. Kind of like immersing yourself and watching Spanish only t.v. There are lots of different dispatchers, codes, military times, etc., and they certainly don't say, "Hello, new scanner listeners, I am from Deschutes County dispatch and we may have something of interest in your area. Listen up!"

Also, it isn't like watching a well scripted t.v. program where there is a beginning, middle and summed up ending. You may never know if they find the guy or whatever really happened. You may also hear the same thing 3 or 4 times. For example, one car was left for days after the recent snowstorm, and several different officers were sent out to take a look and make sure that things were okay each day.

On the other hand, somethings you do understand very clearly, but they may not be things that you would want reported all over the internet with details (address, names) if it was you, such as a heart attack, suicide attempt, etc.   I also avoid gossipy speculation on here.

The scanner is going 24 hours a day, if you have it turned on, and there is a lot of chatter...the cops, firefighters, paramedics and Airlink are busy doing their jobs.  Sometimes my scanner has a lot of static when nobody is talking and I have to turn it down because it drives me crazy.. Sometimes I am not at home and so I don't know what is going on.

That said, when it comes to something like a fire, snowstorm, accidents, emergencies, highway closures, etc. I will do my best to report on those.

Scanner reports for Jan. 7th:

I didn't get much done on the scanner today because I was busy making this blog.

10:39 a.m. - There are two males and two females in a physical fight right now in front of the La Pine Library.

11:21 a.m. - They are finally removing the wrecked black car at Wikiup Junction ... right now.

1:15 p.m. - This wasn't on the scanner, but the police were sure busy at the library today.  It was a beautiful 62* day, and early release from school and there were a lot of teenagers hanging out there.  I went to the post office, and there were two sheriffs there talking to a middle aged couple and a teen boy.  The boy agreed to leave the situation.  As I was leaving the post office, the cops went screaming by and the kids all left the park soon afterwards.

4:45 p.m. - My scanner is full of white noise so I am going to take a break from it.

5:45 p.m. - What a bad time to not be on my scanner. There is a 5 car accident at MP 147 near Lava Butte, with two injuries (one person went to the hospital). Two other separate medical emergencies were also called in around the same time.

ACCIDENT UPDATE:  According to an acquaintance who was in the accident, there were six cars, and one left. If I understand this correctly, she said that they were driving along fine, but one lane was blocked off with cones. One driver decided to enter into that lane and pass everybody to get ahead of the line. Then, another car tried the same maneuver and came behind him at a very high rate of speed and created the accident. One of the other cars was crushed from both ends and that driver was transported to the hospital. One other car also received a lot of damage, but that driver didn't need transporting. The highway was blocked for a long time ... around 1 1/2 hours. 



Here is the link to the DCSO's Daily Complaint Log.  It contains info from January 1st - 6th:  Please click here to get to it.

Here is a link to the latest Bend Police arrest reports from the Bend Bulletin:  News of Record Police Log

Here is a link to Klamath Online Police and Emergency Log

And, the link to Deschutes County's Most Wanted List




Thank you again for reading "In the News".  At the time that I wrote this post, I have 104 followers on Facebook and the page has only been up since January 4th.  I have decided to use my FB Page for notes and communication and then compile a daily summary post on here.  

I will try to keep up on things in a timely manner, but it is just me, and I do other things too.  You guys can help!  Any scanner listeners or reporters out there?  I can't pay you though.

Come back and visit again soon!


Kathy Matthews
Email:  oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com
"In the News" Facebook Page ... just click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please be nice on here!

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check